Study support & resource requirements
- Study Support
- Online learning portal - My Kaplan/My Studies/KapLearn
- Student advisers/services
- Technical content support
- Support for students with special needs
- Study guide for Kaplan Professional students
- Learning materials
- Minimum technology requirements
- Additional resource requirements
- Calculators and financial calculators
- Additional resources
Kaplan Professional provides several support services should you require assistance with your studies.
Online learning portal - My Kaplan/KapLearn/My Studies
Upon enrolment, all new students receive a personal ID number and password to access their online learning portal via email. Please refer to the Login page to find out which portal is relevant to your studies.
Student advisers/services representatives are available to assist you throughout your studies, and can assist with issues including enrolment, subject selection and any issues affecting the completion of your studies.If you require support or information on your course or subject, refer to the contact us page.
The technical content contacts are provided to assist enrolled students who need clarification of subject notes and assignment material. Experienced practitioners respond to subject note enquiries. If you require additional assistance in understanding subject material, you should detail your questions to the relevant technical contact.
KapLearn and My Studies students: please refer to your relevant online portal for technical support.
Support for students with special needs
If you have a condition or special learning need which impacts on your ability to study or to complete assessment, the following application processes are available to you:
For a condition or special learning need existing at the time of your initial enrolment, refer to the appropriate Reasonable Adjustment application form.
For a condition or special need that occurs during the course of your study, refer to the appropriate Special Consideration application form.
Please make us aware of your circumstance at the time of your enrolment, or as soon as possible thereafter. Refer to the Assessment Policy for further information on both of these processes.
Literacy, study skills and language support
Kaplan Professional programs are delivered in English and all assessments must be completed by the student in English. If you have any doubts about whether you have the language, literacy and numeracy skills to undertake a Kaplan Professional program, you are recommended to seek support from the following service. Any costs incurred as a result of these services will be your own responsibility.
Study guide for Kaplan Professional students
‘Study Guide for Kaplan Professional Students’ is a pdf document available for download from the Subject Room for postgraduate students and from My Kaplan or KapLearn for professional education & compliance students. This guide is designed to assist with useful strategies when studying and preparing for your assessments. As well as providing an indication of Kaplan Professional’s workload expectations, it also provides some tips and hints to help with your studies.
In order to study at Kaplan, students are assumed to have the following skills relating to technology:
- Ability to use email to correspond with staff and students
- Ability to access, create, and save documents in Microsoft Office formats. At a minimum, students must be familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to browse the Web, including downloading and installing common plug-ins (listed below) and configuring common browser options
- Ability to configure and run applications, including an antivirus application, to ensure that the student’s system is secure and transmitted files are virus free
To enrol in classes online, all Kaplan students must have access to a computer with the following minimum requirements:
- A PC running Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Mac OS X with the operating system’s minimum requirements for processor, memory, and hard drive (See the Microsoft or Apple website for minimum requirements)
- At least 10.0 GB of free hard-drive space (additional space may be needed for multimedia files)
- 1024 x 768 monitor with a 16-bit or greater video card (24-bit preferred)
- DVD-ROM drive or CD-ROM drive (for some subjects where content is available in this format)
- Sound card with speakers and microphone (for selected courses)
While some courses and subjects may not require all the software listed below, Kaplan recommends that they be installed.
- Microsoft Windows Operating System (XP, Vista or Windows 7) or Mac OS X
- Microsoft Office 2003 or later
- A current antivirus and antispyware application that is updated regularly
- Internet Explorer 7.0, Google Chrome, Firefox 3.0 or later, or Safari 2.0 or later
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or later (free download) (Adobe 9 or higher is recommended for premium eBooks)
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0 or later (free download)
- Sun Java 2 SDK (Java 1.3.1) or later for PC (free download)/Classic Java (MRJ 2.2.5) or later for Mac (free download)
Students are also required to have an active email account that is not limited by size. By enrolling, students understand and acknowledge that Kaplan will communicate with students via the email account they provide to Kaplan on enrolment and the online Subject Rooms.
The font size throughout the Kaplan Professional website is adjustable. To resize the font, go to View > Text Size on your browser toolbar and select a suitable size. You can also use the Ctrl Key + the Mouse Scroll Wheel. We recommend using 'Medium'.
Any problems accessing the site should be directed to your student services team.
Below are the resource requirements for studying at Kaplan Professional.
Calculators and financial calculators
Students will require a calculator that has, as a minimum, the ability to raise numbers to a power (a yx or xy button). Some subjects also require processing of numbers to eight decimal places.
A financial calculator is required for some subjects, and is likely to meet your long-term requirements in the financial services industry.
Note that calculators or other electronic devices (e.g. hand-held computers/devices, translation devices*, MP3 players and mobile phones) that have the ability to store and display text are not permitted in examinations.
* Upon successful application for Special Consideration, foreign students are permitted a hard copy lexicon only.