Try our course finder tool
Important information

Need help?

1300 135 798

Important information

From 1 January 2021, new higher education students will need a Unique Student Identifier (USI) in order to be eligible for Commonwealth assistance through a FEE-HELP loan.

By 2023, all higher education students will need to have a USI if they expect to receive their award in 2023 or beyond. This includes all students who started before 2021.

Continuing students can provide their USI anytime between now and 2023.

More information can be found in the FAQs below.


Quality education and training can help to advance your career, but costs can sometimes be a barrier. Kaplan Professional believes education should be as accessible and affordable as possible to empower you to reach your professional and personal goals.

To make studying with Kaplan Professional more accessible, higher education courses delivered by Kaplan Professional are approved for FEE-HELP by the Australian Government’s Department of Education, Skills and Employment. FEE-HELP is a Commonwealth Government loan available to help you paying part or all of your tuition fees.

You’re required to repay your FEE-HELP loan through the taxation system once your income exceeds the government’s compulsory repayment threshold. The current repayment threshold may be found on the government’s StudyAssist website. Please be advised that a FEE-HELP loan may impact on your credit rating and you are required to provide your Tax File Number (TFN) as part of your application for FEE-HELP.

In order to receive FEE-HELP, you must meet the eligibility requirements as detailed below:

  • be an Australian citizen who will study at least one subject of your accredited course in Australia; or
  • be a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder, or eligible former New Zealand SCV holder; who meets the long-term residency requirements and who studies the entire course while living in Australia; or
  • be a permanent humanitarian visa holder or an eligible former permanent humanitarian visa holder who studies the entire course while living in Australia; or
  • be a pacific engagement visa holder who is resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s) (note: a PEV holder becomes eligible from 1 February 2024)
  • an Australian permanent resident can get FEE-HELP for approved bridging studies.
  • be enrolled in a fee-paying place at a provider that offers FEE-HELP loans
  • be enrolled in an eligible course at your provider by the census date (see ‘What courses are available for FEE-HELP?’ below)
  • submit the Request for FEE-HELP loan form to Kaplan Professional by the census date
  • have an available HELP balance
  • have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to the first census date (for new enrolments from 1 January 2021)
  • not undertake more than 2 years’ worth of higher education study in the last 12 months, unless Kaplan Professional has assessed you as capable of taking on a higher study load.

Before applying for FEE-HELP, you’ll need to read the FEE-HELP information booklet provided by the Australian government.

In addition to FEE-HELP, you may also be eligible for other government incentives, such as Austudy / ABSTUDY. For further information, please contact Centrelink.

For further information regarding FEE-HELP support, contact one of our Student Advisers on 1300 135 798 (select option 2) or Alternatively, visit


FEE-HELP Frequently Asked Questions

The USI is a student’s lifelong education number.

If you’re undertaking nationally recognised training or higher education, you’ll need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment.

The USI will give you access to an online record in the form of a USI Transcript. This can be used when applying for a job, seeking a credit transfer or demonstrating prerequisites when undertaking further training or study.

A USI is for life. You only have to create it once. If you’ve undertaken a vocational education course since 2015, you probably have a USI.

If you’re unsure if you already have a USI, please go to the ‘Find your USI’ page to check:

You’ll need to provide identification to create a USI. Please visit for more information. It’s important this identification data matches your enrolment with Kaplan Professional.

If you’re eligible for FEE-HELP assistance and would like to obtain a FEE-HELP loan, you’ll need to complete a Request for FEE-HELP assistance form. This form should be completed at enrolment once it’s sent to you or by the due by date if you’re changing your payment option.

Request for FEE-HELP assistance forms can’t be accepted after the census date for a unit of study.

There are no loan fees applicable to any postgraduate courses delivered by Kaplan Professional.

The census date is the last date you can withdraw or cancel your enrolment without incurring a financial and/or academic penalty, as well as the last day to submit a Requested for Fee-HELP assistance form.

You can view the census dates on our higher education study dates page on our website.

The courses listed below are approved by the Department of Education for FEE-HELP.

Kaplan recognises that applicants may wish to study one or more higher education subjects at Kaplan as a non-award subject for purposes such as professional development or personal interest without having to enrol in the full course. Non-award subjects are not eligible for FEE-HELP.